After the war broke out in 1914, Kandinsky was compelled to return to Russia. Having witnessed the 1917 revolution and post-revolutionary artistic and cultural developments, he became actively involved in establishing new educational institutions and museums. However, the new regime’s growing restrictions on artistic freedom led him to leave Russia again and return to Germany in 1921. There he began teaching at the newly founded Bauhaus, a step that coincided with a new direction in his art.
The earlier interplay among elements of colour and form showed a great spontaneity of expression, which was often the result of prolonged thought and several preliminary studies. This gradually gave way to a more stringent, increasingly geometric condensation of form and a more muted palette.
The exhibition is supported by:
Stiftung Patronatskomitee Basler Kunstmuseen
From 22 June until 1. October 2006 the exhibition is to be seen at Tate Modern, London.